I suggest you ...

line continuation handling for better mode description

for tcl-like languages jedit is seriously missing a line continuation character.
E.g. lines like
lsort -integer -index 1 \
{{First 24} {Second 18}}
set a "[lsearch -all -inline \
-not $list]"
cannot be captured correctly from highlighting point of view
So I would suggest to add a rule property tag LineContinuationChar. if this character appears as the last none-white space char on a line, the following line is appended to the current line. And, all lines joined together with a LineContinuationChar are infact handled as a single line in all mode tags like e.g. EOL_SPAN...

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gergoe LetayGergoe Letay shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VampireAdminVampire (Admin, jEdit) commented  · 

Ah, ok, right, as rule property it might possibly work. I've only had mode properties in my mind.

• Gergoe LetayGergoe Letay commented  · 

If the meaning of a certain expression depends on the context, the context has to be reflected by a different rule., i.e. in your example a comment line would be delegated to a comment rule where the lineContinuationChar property would be empty.

Otherwise if it is easier to implement as attribute for EOL_SPAN, SPAN..., it would also solve the problem.

• VampireAdminVampire (Admin, jEdit) commented  · 

I think it is maybe not that trivial. In many languages it is depending on the context. e. g. a \ as last char on the line in a comment has no effect, but within code it has. Maybe at some other place like as attribute for a SPAN and SPAN_REGEXP it is more useful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base